Built-in templates are part of TaxCycle and do not get saved to your computer unless you clone them (learn how in the Template Editor help topic). They are then saved in your templates folder, along with any original templates you create.
By default, TaxCycle saves any templates you customize or create in C:\ProgramData\Trilogy\TaxCycle\Templates.
Templates are usually named with the file extension .taxcycletemplate. However, the underlying template code is in HTML and CSS, so if you want to work in the source code in an HTML editor (to get code formatting), you can change this to a .html file extension as well.
Save any images you use in the templates—along with those you set for your signature and logo—in this folder too. That way if you share this folder and any of your templates contain images, others will have access to the images as well.
Changing the location of the Templates folder
If you want to share your templates with others, you will want to change the location of the templates folder. This folder can be on your local computer or on a network folder, but everyone who wants to use it must at least have view permissions to use the templates. And, they need read/write permissions to make modifications to any templates.
The path to the templates folder can be shared using an Options Profile, so if you set it to shared folder on your network or share the folder from your computer and then include it in an Options Profile, you can quickly point everyone to the same set of custom templates.
To change the templates folder:
- To open Options from the Start screen, click Options in the blue bar on the left side of the window. If you have a file open, go to the File menu, then click Options.
- On the left side of the dialog box, expand Files and folders and click on Common Folders.
- On the right, browse to change the path to the Templates folder. If you are sharing this path in an Options Profile, make sure you use a UNC file path so that other computers can find it. For example: \\MyComputer\Templates
Install a template file
Occasionally, you may want to send a template to a colleague, or need to install a template someone else has given to you.
To install a template file:
- Open the Template Editor.
- Click on the Templates Folder button to open the templates folder in Windows® Explorer.
- Copy and paste the template files into the folder.
- Restart TaxCycle to see the template in the Template Editor.