If you or your client receives a request for documentation from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), you may submit those documents electronically via the CRA's website.
Submitting documents for your clients
To submit documents on behalf of your clients, you must be:
- Registered with Represent a Client.
- Authorized as a level 2 representative when you file the T1013, Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative form.
You can only use this service when the CRA has sent you or your client a letter requesting documents, and inviting you or your client to use the "Submit documents" service. The letter will include a case number (reference number).
Your clients can also upload their own documents if they are registered for CRA's My Account service. They can log in, click on Submit Documents and enter their case or reference number.
What types of files can you upload?
The file you upload must be in one of the following formats: .pdf, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .rtf, .txt, .jpg, .jpeg, .tiff, .tif, .xps.
The total file size cannot exceed 150MB. Only one file can be uploaded.
Creating a separate PDF from DoxCycle
To create a PDF of a single document in your DoxCycle file:
- Go to the document by clicking on it once on its name in the index.
- Hover your cursor over the document to make the Page Assistant appear (the green bar at the top of the document).
- Click on the wrench icon on the right side of the Page Assistant.
- Choose Save as separate PDF.
- Browse to where you want to save the PDF, enter a name for the file, and then click Save.
If you want to email your source documents to with annotations included, click the Show Annotations button on the View menu before sending. To send the documents without annotations, click the Hide Annotations button before sending.
Emailing a PDF
If a client or colleague needs a copy of the source documents, you can quickly email a PDF from the DoxCycle index:
- To email a single document, right click on the document name in the index.
- To email all documents in a particular category, right-click on the category.
- To email a few different forms or slips, hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and click once on each item you wish to email.
- Once you select all the items you want to email, select Email from the right-click menu.
Steps for uploading the document
- Log into the Represent a Client web page.
- Click on Submit documents.
- Enter the Case or Reference number as it appears on the request from the CRA in the following format you in the following format: TBXXXXXXXXXXXX
- Enter your client's Social Insurance Number (SIN), in the Account number field. Do not include spaces or dashes.
- Click Continue to move on to the steps for uploading the document.
As you move through the upload steps, you will be asked to enter a description for the document you upload.
At the end of the process, a screen will appear with a confirmation number and a description of the file sent. You should keep a record of this confirmation number and reference number.
Once you finish the submit documents process, you can select Make another submission to return to the beginning of the process and submit documents for a different client.
After submitting documents
Do not submit documents electronically if requested information has already been sent via mail or facsimile. Duplicate submissions may delay processing.
If a review has been completed, you may submit additional documents. For example, the review of your client’s 2012 tax return was completed and you would now like to submit additional information. To submit additional documents, you will need to use the reference number from the initial letter received from the Processing Review Program. Please pay special attention to the instructions on the confirmation page as a new reference number may be provided.