The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) EFILE service closes on January 17, 2020 for annual maintenance. You will not be able to file most types of returns and forms until the service reopens on February 24, 2020.
It will still be possible to transmit T1013 forms, T1135 forms, and T2 returns during the closure if you have renewed your EFILE account, have passed CRA suitability screening, AND have entered your new password in TaxCycle Options.
1. Renew or request your EFILE account NOW
Renewing or requesting your EFILE account can take up to 30 days so don't delay if you want to be ready for the system opening on February 24, 2020. If you do not renew your account before the CRA closes the EFILE system on January 17, 2020, you will not be able to transmit T1013 and T1135 forms, or file T2 returns until you pass suitability screening and receive your new password.
The only way to renew your account is online. Go to the CRA's Account Renewal page and click on Log in. You will need your current EFILE number and password. Follow the instructions and click Submit when done. You will receive your new password by email. Enter it into TaxCycle's options right away (see below). Until the system closes on January 17, 2020, this new password will continue to work for the prior-year EFILE services. After the system closes, you will only be able to transmit T1013 forms, T1135 forms and T2 return once you pass CRA suitability screening.
If you're requesting an account for the first time, go to the CRA's New Registration page and click on EFILE Registration Online. Follow the instructions and click Submit when done.
2. Enter your EFILE credentials in TaxCycle options
- If you have a file open, go to the File menu, then click Options. To open Options from the Start screen, click Options in the blue bar on the left side. (You can also access these EFILE options any time by clicking on the wrench icon in the Transmit sidebar.)
- On the left side of the screen, expand Transmission and then click on EFILE Accounts.
- If you are a new registrant or new to TaxCycle, enter your CRA EFILE Number. If you have renewed your EFILE account, your EFILE Number remains the same as last year.
- Enter your EFILE Password. This password changes every year. You must enter your newly assigned password in TaxCycle (and have passed suitability screening) to transmit T1013 forms, T1135 forms, and T2 returns during the EFILE service scheduled closure.
- Click OK to save the options.
3. Mark February 24, 2020 on your calendar
The CRA EFILE service will stop accepting transmissions of 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 initial T1 personal income tax and benefit returns, as well as ReFILE adjustments to 2016, 2017 and 2018 returns at midnight (local time) on Friday, January 17, 2020.
To continue to transmit T1013 forms, transmit T1135 forms and file T2 returns after January 17, 2020, you will need to have renewed your EFILE account, passed suitability screening, and updated your tax preparation software with your newly assigned password (see above).
EFILE systems will open again on Monday, February 24, 2020 at 8:30 a.m. (Eastern time).