This TaxCycle release is certified by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for downloading 2017 tax data into T1 returns. It also includes updates to options, templates, review messages, new forms, features, and fixes.
This version is available as an automatic update, as a full download from our website, and a free trial.
- Auto-fill my return (AFR) certified for downloading 2017 tax data
- T1013 electronic filing
- Status of 2017 T1/TP1 forms
- New!—Review messages when the T183 changes after printing
- New!—Family pre-season letter, family invoice and other template changes
- New!—T2094 form added to TaxCycle T3010
- New!—Help notifications on forms
- T2 changes
- Customer-requested enhancements and fixes
Auto-fill my return (AFR) certified for downloading 2017 tax data
TaxCycle T1 2017 is certified by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for downloading data into 2017 T1 tax returns using Auto-fill my return (AFR). When the service re-opens on Monday, Feburary 12th, you will be able to download data for your clients from 2017, 2016 and 2015 tax years.
To learn how to download data, read the Auto-fill my return (AFR) help topic.
We are also offering a webinar on Auto-fill my return (AFR) on Wednesday, February 14th at 11:00 a.m. MT. Register now.
T1013 electronic filing
When the T1013 electronic filing service re-opens on Monday, February 12, 2018, the 2017 version of the form is the ONLY version the CRA will accept. TaxCycle T1 2017 contains a certified version of this form.
Status of 2017 T1/TP1 forms
The following 2017 form is final as of this release:
- Québec TP-1029.8.66.2 Tax credit for the treatment of infertility
The following forms remain in preview state and are still under review. They will show a Preview watermark:
- All AgriStability/AgriInvest forms
- Multiple jurisdiction forms and calculations for both Federal and Québec returns. (The provincial 428 schedules do not show the watermark because they are final for returns other than multiple jurisdictions.)
- Bankruptcy worksheet and calculations.
- T2038 Investment tax credit (individuals)
- Québec TP-965.39.4 and TP-1029.9
New!—Review messages when the T183 changes after printing
A new set of review messages appears on the T183 if it has changed since printing and must be printed and signed again. These review messages follow the instructions on the form and only appear if the change to the refund or balance owing is greater than $300.
New!—Family pre/post-season letters, family invoice and other template changes
In response to requests in our online community, we made the following changes to the templates in TaxCycle T1 2017:
- FPreSeason and FPostSeason—These letters (Avant-saisonF en français) provides check lists for all family members, including any full dependant returns in the file. This letter appears in the Prepare sidebar and in F4 Fast Find for all members of the family, however it is only marked as used for the principal taxpayer. Remember to add it to your Client copy print set if you want to use it on a regular basis. See the post on our online community for history of this change.
- FInvoice—This invoice (FactureF en français) provides a statement showing balances for all family members and a combined balance owing for the family. It appears in the Prepare sidebar and in F4 Fast Find only for the principal taxpayer, and is marked as used when there are amounts on the billing worksheets of at least one family member. Remember to add it to your Client copy print set if you want to use it on a regular basis. See the post on our online community for history of this change.
- All pre-season, engagement and post-season letters now include the preparer's email address in the text telling the recipient where to send the completed check lists and source documents. See the request in our online community for history of this change.
- In the built-in client letters in both TaxCycle T1 and T2, instalment payments are now rounded to the dollar amount. This is in response to the a post on our online community.
New!—T2094 form added to TaxCycle T3010
The T2094 Registered Charities: Application to Reduce Disbursement Quota has been added to the 2017 version of TaxCycle T3010.
New!—Help notifications on forms
This release adds help notifications at the top of specific forms. These notifications show pro-active information about changes and tax updates to specific forms when required:
- Click the blue link(s) in the text to open the related web pages.
- Click Dismiss to close the message. It will not reappear. (Even if you hide a message, you can still press the F1 key on a form to open the relevant help topic.)
You will find related options to control these notifications:
- From the Start screen, click Options in the blue bar on the left side. If you have a file open, go to the File menu, then click Options.
- On the left, scroll down and click on Help.
- On the right side, clear the check box next to Show relevant help content above forms to never see these messages. (Even if you hide these messages, you can still press the F1 key on a form to open the relevant help topic.)
- Click the Reset button to restore all messages that have been dismissed. (Dismissing messages is done at a user-level, and does not get stored in an options profile.)
- S8 and S8Asset—When there was an ITA 13(39) adjustment on the S8, the amount was correctly included as a deemed addition on the S8Asset worksheet, but the same amount was no showing up in column 203 of the S8. This has been fixed.
- T2054 Election for a Capital Dividend Account Under Subsection 83(2)—The third bullet in the preamble at the top of the form has been updated to remind you to mail return to the processing centre listed further down the form.
- S32WS—When the jurisdiction was set to the Saskatchewan, ITA 12(1)(x) was only picking up amount G. It should have also included amount J. This issue has been fixed.
- When Cantax T2 file was carried forward to TaxCycle, TaxCycle created blank rows on the S73. This triggered a review message even though there was no S73 information carried forward:
Customer-requested enhancements and fixes
- When you move your mouse over a list view in the Client Manager, the entire row is now higlighted.
- We have adjusted the layout of printed T5018 slips so that the recipient address shows in the window of a T4 sized envelope.
- The temporary file used when electronically filing slips has been renamed so that it no longer includes an extra R at the end of the account number.
- A new review message has been added to TaxCycle T1 files when a federal tuition claim is made on Schedule 11 and the person is a resident of Manitoba. It will remind you to consider claiming the Manitoba Tuition Fee Income Tax Rebate.
- Refresh carryforward no longer carries forward fields on the Engagement and Info worksheets that have been changed in the more recent year. This change was in response to a customer's request to prevent updating of the address from the prior year to the current one if the address had recently changed.