Published: June 14, 2016
The Review sidebar
When you're ready to review the tax return, click on the Review sidebar. This opens the list of review messages.
Different message types are distinguished using icons and colours assigned to indicate severity or importance.
By default, the list shows messages that Require attention. You can change which messages show in the list by using the drop-down at the top of the box. For example, you can view only EFILE messages or a list of the Tapes the return.
You can also press F9 to jump to the first message and open the Review sidebar to the Require attention view. To show messages for the current form, press Alt+F9.
Choose First or second review, Questions or Corrections from the drop-down list at the top of the pane to see all fields containing those review marks.
Once you see the review marks, you can click on the mark on the right to cycle through the first review or second review or remove the mark completely.
For more information on using review marks, see the Review marks help topic.
Finding problem forms
Forms containing error messages, have error icons on top of their form icon in both the form index and on tabs.
Finding problem fields
Fields with errors on them have a corner on them in colour of the error message:
If you prefer a more prominent indicator, there is an option to have the background of fields with error messages show with a yellow highlight, making it easier to quickly spot which fields have problems:
To enable or disable field highlighting:
- Click on FILE in the ribbon at the top of the window.
- Then, click Options on the left side of the window.
- In the Options dialog box, click the General options.
- The check or clear the option Show a yellow background on fields that have review messages.
Viewing messages on fields
- Hover your cursor over a field to see the message in a small pop-up:
- If there is more than one review message in the field, all messages are listed in the pop-up:
- Click the links in the review messages to quickly fix an error:
- Check off the message to hide it from the review:
- Click on the icon on the left to open the review pane to see all the messages of the same type, for example, all overrides in the return. This changes the view in the review pane on the left:
Some error messages give you the option to apply a Quick Fix. This means, you can fix the issue without ever jumping to the form. For example, answering the Elections Canada question.
You can tell which messages give you this option by hovering your mouse over the message. If a lightbulb icon appears to the right of the messages icon, you can quick fix the issue:
- Click the lightbulb to pop up the question.
- Click the option you want.
The question is answered on the form and the error message disappears, all without you needing to jump to the form.
Double-click on the message to jump to directly to the form and field with the issue. Alternately, press F9 to jump to the first message in the list. You can then resolve the message on the form by fixing the amount in the field.
If you believe the amount is correct and you simply want to resolve the message, you can check the by clicking the checkmark to the right of the message in the review pane.
Or, click the checkmarks in the flyover message on the field
If your office has a two-step review process, you can set up TaxCycle to remove the review message on the first review or second review:
- Go to Options, then expand TaxCycle, then Return Preparation.
- Click on Review.
- Check or uncheck Remove review message on first review and/or Remove review messages on second review to control when a message is signed off.
Right-click on any review message
Right-click on any message in the Review sidebar—even those without Quick Fix messages—to see more options of what you can do. This is a quick way to sign off a message or hide it for good.
Permanently hiding messages
Some messages give you the quick fix option to never show the message again for any clients:
If you accidentally hide a message, you can restore the option by checking it again under options:
- Go to the File menu then click on Options.
- In the Options dialog box, expand the T1 section, then Review, then click on the year.
- In the right-hand pane, search for an option in the list of possible messages.
- If you are looking for a message you disabled by mistake, click the link to Show only disabled review messages.
- When you find the message you need, check the box to have it appear for all clients. Uncheck it to hide to it off for all clients.
- Some messages cannot be disabled. For these messages, the checkbox will appear greyed out and you won't be able to check or uncheck it.
- Click OK to save your changes.