DoxCycle works with pretty much any scanner you can use in Windows. If it is a TWAIN scanner, there is no special setup. DoxCycle will connect to the scanner and start the scan.
If you have a Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner, you must configure the scanner slightly differently. See help on ScanSnap scanners for more details.
If your office uses a scanning station or has a dedicated person in the office who does all the scanning, you can configure DoxCycle to monitor a folder on the network for new files. This way, whenever a new file appears in that folder, you have the option to import it into DoxCycle. Learn more about folder monitoring.
Select your scanner
At the top of the DoxCycle window, click the scanner button to see what scanners are available to you to use in DoxCycle.
If you don't see a scanner there, click Refresh. Or, click Where is my scanner? for troubleshooting tips.
Once you've chosen a scanner, you're ready to begin scanning documents into DoxCycle.
Recommended scanner settings
DoxCycle's ability to recognize the document type and taxpayer, and extract amounts from documents depends on the quality of the scan. A higher-resolution and more realistic-looking scanned document does not necessarily mean it's easier for DoxCycle to extract data (that's why photos don't always work as well.)
We recommend setting your scanner to use the following settings:
- 300 dpi (dots per inch) resolution
- black and white (not grayscale!)
- background fill set to off
- Gather all the paper documents for the client and put them in the scanner.
- Make sure the scanner is powered on and connected to your computer.
- Click the Scan (F7) button to scan the documents.
- DoxCycle will start the scanner and scan each file.
- DoxCycle will figure out which taxpayer it belongs to, what document type it is and extract amounts for posting into TaxCycle. If it can't figure out what kind of document it is or who it belongs to, DoxCycle will bring up the classification assistant to allow you quickly categorize the documents.
- At this point (or anytime in the future), you can add more documents to the client file, either by scanning or importing.
You don't need to wait for DoxCycle to finish importing all the slips to start working. It will continue in the background as you work.
Selecting a document type or taxpayer before scanning
If you have a stack of documents of the same type or for the same taxpayer, you can save time later by selecting the document type and taxpayer before scanning.
This is particularly useful for documents that don't include the taxpayer name or that are non-standard in format, like medical expenses or other receipts. Or, if you have multi-page documents.
- Choose the taxpayer from the Home menu. (Auto means that DoxCycle will try to determine whose document it is.)
- Click the a particular type of document to activate the scanner: slips, medical expenses, etc.
- If you have multi-page or double-sided documents, click the drop-down button on Multi-page or other, then choose an option.
Learn more about handling multi-page documents.
Learn more about double-sided documents.
DoxCycle scanning options
DoxCycle options contain additional settings for scanning documents:
- Click on the File menu and then on Options.
- Click on the Scanning tab.
- Each option contains a description of when changing the option might be useful.
- When you're done making changes, please.
- Click OK to save your changes.