Bilingual Technical Writer
Trilogy Software Inc. is a vibrant software company located in Calgary, AB, that prides itself on innovative software products and exemplary customer service. Thousands of accountants and tax preparers across Canada use our professional tax software.
We’re seeking to hire a Bilingual Technical Writer to join our Communications team. The communications team is responsible for all English and French marketing and technical communications for our products and website. This includes social media posts, online advertising, help topics, user guides, release notes, blog posts, branding, visual design, instructional videos, webinars, online conferences, print marketing, as well as design and support of our web store.
This role is a junior position that offers an opportunity to work on a diverse range of projects and expand your communications and marketing skills. You will receive support and mentorship from senior team members. As your skills and knowledge grow, so will the opportunities to direct your own work and projects.
What you’ll be doing…
- Writing technical and marketing communications in both English and French.
- Learning about preparing taxes, creating software and how to market software to Canadian accounting firms.
- Helping collect information to include in release notes for software updates.
- Helping update the training manuals used by our customers and sales/service team.
- Helping update product marketing pages on our website.
- Taking screen captures and using image editing tools to create attractive online documentation with those images.
- Providing back up to our translator and social media marketing team when workload requires.
What you’ll bring to our team…
- Expert English and French written and spoken language skills.
- Experience writing technical and marketing communications in both languages.
- The ability to clearly write step-by-step instructions.
- Interest in learning about software and tax preparation/accounting industries.
- Experience reading and editing simple HTML and CSS code.
- The ability to quickly learn new technology and technical subjects.
- A basic eye for attractive and effective layout and design, a desire to create visually appealing communications.
- A willingness to learn how to improve the design of documents you write and create, either online or in print.
- An organized and self-starting work ethic.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- A commitment to excellent customer experience and service.
Extras that will get you noticed…
Although the following skills and experience are not required for this position, they are a definite asset and could influence our choice of candidate. (If you have any of them, make sure to tell us about it!)
- Experience in tax preparation, accounting or bookkeeping.
- Experience in social media and ad copywriting.
- Training design and delivery (online or in person).
- Interest in translation and localization for the French-Canadian market.
- Graphic design for creating logos, diagrams and icons.
- Project management skills.
The tools you’ll use in your work
Please let us know if you have the following skills or experience using any of the following:
- Umbraco content management system
- HTML and CSS
- TechSmith SnagIt
- Microsoft DevOps (or other source control software)
- Microsoft Office 365
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe Photoshop
The qualifications and experience you’ll need
- University or college degree.
- A minimum of two years of related work experience.
The salary will be commensurate with the qualifications of the successful candidate.
Calgary, Alberta, or remote
If you are applying from elsewhere in Canada, you will be required to travel to Calgary for occasional meetings and in-person work (post-pandemic).
How to apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Cover letter email.
- Link to a portfolio that includes:
- Samples of English and French writing
- Visual design of print document or web page
Applicants who pass the first stage of screening will be required to complete an assignment, provide references, and participate in a video conference interview.
Trilogy Software’s commitment to diversity and inclusion
At Trilogy Software, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. We believe our company, products and team are made better through our unique identities, experiences and perspectives. When recruiting for our team, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates, including indigenous peoples, visible minorities, women and persons with disabilities.