It's slips filing season and with our recent TaxCycle release, you can electronically file your clients' slips with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This time of year, we receive lots of questions about the Account Number and Web Access Code (WAC) used for filing with the CRA Internet File Transfer (XML).
What is a Web Access Code (WAC)?
The CRA uses a combination of an Account Number and a Web Access Code (WAC) to allow you access the system for uploading slips information returns to the CRA. These are used to log into the transmission website and must be related to one another.
You can use the preparer's Account Number and WAC, or the slip issuer's Account number and WAC, as long as they relate to each other.
Where do I get a Web Access Code (WAC)?
If you or your clients don't have a Web Access Code, you can request one online from the CRA website. Visit the CRA website to request a Web Access Code (WAC).
You will need to provide an account number, a return type and financial information from the last original return filed for the previous tax year. (Or, if no return was filed, the date of registration.)
Where does my WAC go in TaxCycle Options?
- To open Options from the Start screen, click Options in the blue bar on the left side. If you have a file open, go to File menu, then click Options.
- On the left side of the screen, expand the section for Transmission and click on Slips Credentials.
- Enter a CRA Account Number and Transmitter Web Access Code (WAC). These are used to log into the transmission website and must be related to one another. You can use Account Number and WAC as a preparer, or the slip issuer's Account number and WAC, as long as they relate to each other. But, if you use the issuer's WAC, you must change it for each client in Options.
As a preparer, I have an Account Number and WAC, but so does my client. Which one do I use when filing?
You can use either your credentials or your client's to file a return. The key is to always make sure to use an Account Number and Web Access Code that go together. This combination serves as the gatekeeper to let you into the online filing system before you upload files.
The Account Number and WAC you enter in Options are used when you transmit the return. If you want to use the client's Account Number and Web Access Code, you must change it each for each client in TaxCycle Options.
Where can l learn more about how to file slips returns in TaxCycle?
- Read the online help in our documentation section: Internet file transfer (XML)
- We recently recorded a 1-hour webinar that takes you through creating and filing slips returns. View this video below:
Click a timestamp below to jump to a topic:
- Options to set before preparing slips returns (3:56)
- Carry forward ProFile® FX, Cantax® FormMaster or Taxprep® Forms (11:19)
- Import slips from last year's XML or from Excel spreadsheet (16:07)
- Set defaults for Info worksheet and slips (19:07)
- Email to request missing slip information (29:18)
- Use T4 adjustment options (30:09)
- Produce T4 reduced EI slips (34.26)
- File slips with Internet File Transfer (XML) (40:40)
- Print slips, include PDF recipient copies (48:26)
- Share slip data with T1 and T3 returns using SlipSync (51:17)