TaxCycle T1, T2, T3 and T5013 are certified by CRA for electronic filing of the T1135 Foreign Income Verification Statement.
To electronically file the T1135 with the CRA, you must have an EFILE number and password.
If you are transmitting the T1135 in TaxCycle T2, you can also use a Web Access Code (WAC) issued by the CRA. To learn how to request a WAC in TaxCycle T2, read the Request a T2 WAC help topic.
EFILE Number and Password
To file electronically with the CRA, you must have an EFILE number and password:
- To register for EFILE and receive these credentials, go to the CRA’s EFILE for electronic filers page.
- If you already have an EFILE number, you must complete a yearly renewal to receive a new password for the latest T1 tax season. Always use the latest password given to you.
The registration or renewal process includes a suitability screening. This process may take up to 30 days. To allow enough time for the review of your application before the filing season starts, we encourage you to renew your application as soon as possible.
Enter the CRA EFILE number and password in TaxCycle options:
- If you have a file open, go to the File menu, then click Options. To open Options from the Start screen, click Options in the blue bar on the left side. (You can also access these EFILE options any time by clicking on the wrench icon in the Transmit sidebar.)
- On the left side of the screen, expand Transmission, then click on EFILE Accounts.
- Enter your CRA EFILE Number and EFILE Password.
Answer the Foreign Property Question
Review messages and transmission functions for the T1135 form appear when you answer Yes to the foreign property question in the Filing section of the Info worksheet.
Step 1: Complete the T1135 Form
Once you answer the foreign property question on the Info worksheet, the T1135 box appears in the Transmit sidebar. Outstanding errors preventing filing appear there and in the Review sidebar.
- Click the Transmit tab in the sidebar or press F12.
- Click once on the T1135 box to expand it and see a list of all outstanding errors.
- Double click a message or click a blue link to open the T1135.
- Read and complete the sections relevant to your client’s tax situation. (See the T1135 Manager help topic.)
Step 2: Confirm Signature of Form T1135
The CRA requires that a taxpayer sign the T1135 before a preparer can electronically file it on their behalf. It is important to keep a signed copy of this form in your files should the CRA ask for it. They regularly check with preparers.
A review message will prompt you to enter a signing date on the T1135:
- Click Insert the current date upon transmission and printing and TaxCycle will check the box next to the signature field. TaxCycle will enter the date automatically when you print or transmit the form.
- Click the Today link to enter the current date.
- Click Set default signing date for new files to open Options and choose the default for this field.
- Click Print the T1135 link to print the form or to send it for electronic signature. TaxCycle records the date and the name of the person who printed the form.
- If you send the form for electronic signature through TaxFolder or DocuSign®, TaxCycle automatically records the signing date and time when the document was signed.
- If you collect an electronic signature by any other method (such as collecting a scanned copy or using Adobe® Reader), TaxCycle does not record the date and time the document was signed. Instead, you must enter this information when confirming the signature before transmission:
- Click the e-signature link to confirm receipt of the signature.
- TaxCycle automatically enters the current date and time using the 24-hour format.
- Adjust the date and time if required and click the Confirm button to save.
If required, you can disable the signature confirmation step (not recommended). See the “Disable signature confirmation” section in the Transmission Options help topic.
Step 3: Transmit the T1135
- Once you confirm the signature, the return is Ready to transmit.
- Click the Transmit Now! link to begin the transmission.
You can also transmit other returns and requests (like T1 EFILE) at the same time using Transmit family or Transmit multiple. Learn how in the Transmit Family help topic and the Transmit Multiple help topic.
- When a transmission succeeds, you will see the words Transmission successful in green text and a green happy face. This symbol also appears in the Client Manager for T1135s that are successfully filed, and in the blue bar at the bottom of the window of any open tax return.
- The box also shows the Transmission Number for future reference.
- Any messages returned from the CRA appear in this box.
- Click the Print the Client T1135 Receipt link to give a copy of this information to your client.
- Click the T1135 Results link to view the worksheet which contains a full list of the results from all transmission attempts.
- If you need to retransmit the return, click Dismiss results and start again.
Rejected or Failed Transmission
If the CRA rejects a transmission due to errors, you will see the words Transmission rejected and a red sad face.
Any error messages received from the CRA also appear in this box, starting with the error number. This number may be useful if you need to contact the CRA regarding an error. The longer error description usually contains information on what went wrong with the transmission, so you can work to correct it.
If a transmission fails due to an issue with your Internet connection, you will see the words Transmission failed and two computers with red dots between them. This means that TaxCycle could not connect with the CRA system, and did not attempt to file the return. Click the Diagnose Internet connectivity link to see whether your Internet connection is working.
When you resolve the issue, click Dismiss results and start again to retransmit. This rechecks the return for outstanding errors before returning to the transmission step.
Watermark: DUPLICATE—DO NOT SEND BY MAIL
After successful transmission, the T1135 form includes a watermark—on screen and when printed—to remind you and your client that the statement was already submitted to the CRA and that they should not send the form by mail.
Filing an Amended T1135
To file an amended T1135, check the box to indicate it is an amended return. This marks the form as amended and puts a watermark on the form. After making the necessary changes, retransmit the amended statement to the CRA.
T1135 Results Worksheet
The T1135 Results worksheet lists the results of transmission attempts.
Regardless of a successful or failed transmission, TaxCycle records the time and the result of the transmission, so you always have a complete record of transmission attempts and returned messages, even if you have to retransmit the return.
TaxCycle saves each transmission attempt in the file history:
- Go to the File menu, then click on Info.
- Click on History.
- Find the record of the transmission in the list.
- Click the first save button (the one with the lightning bolt) to save a copy of the XML file that was transmitted to the CRA.
- Click the second save button (the one with the green arrow) to save a copy of the response sent back from the CRA.
- TaxCycle also updates the workflow information for the taxpayer. (See the Workflow Groups and Tasks help topic.)