TaxCycle includes tasks and groups to help you track the progress of a return for each person in the file.
You can customize TaxCycle to match your practice workflow. Set required tasks. Reorder, show or hide the tasks and groups in file information. See the Workflow Options help topic.
- Track the status of the current return in the Track sidebar. Information for all taxpayers in the file appears on the Info screen under the File menu, and—if configured—upon saving a file.
- On the Info screen under the File menu, click on a name to see the status of all the tasks related to that person's return. Each box contains the tasks related to completing the tax return for that person.
- When viewing this page for coupled or family returns, TaxCycle arranges the boxes to fit the window size. They appear side-by-side first, and then wrap below. Scroll down to see more.
- Tasks are grouped by stage of the preparation process. You can adjust which tasks appear in which groups in Options. See "Workflow options," below. Some tasks only appear for the client's return if they are necessary. For example, if a taxpayer must electronically file a T1135, the T1135 transmitted task will show. Otherwise it will not.
- By default, TaxCycle expands the earliest group that is still in progress. You can Expand all or Collapse all groups. Click Auto-expand to return to the default state.
- Within a group, many tasks are automatically checked when you complete the action in the return.
- To manually complete automatic tasks, click the override link.
- An asterisk appears next to groups that contain overridden tasks.
- Click the overridden link to remove the override.
- Some tasks are manual. Check the box to complete them.
- The date and name of the person who completed the task shows.
- A group is considered complete once all required tasks within the group are checked. You can choose which tasks are required in Options. See "Workflow options," below.
- Click the comment link to add a comment to a task.
- Type the comment in the field that appears.
- To delete a comment, click remove.
- Check the Waiting for client check box for any taxpayer at any stage in the preparation process to flag a return that is waiting for client input.
- The Return Completion group contains tasks required to consider the entire return completed.
- You can add a Due date for the return in the Return Completion group.
- Messages show next to the client's name when the return is overdue.
- The All filing complete task under the Return Completion group looks at any required paper or electronic filings and is only checked once they are all complete. (This also looks at any required adjustments.)
- If an adjustment to the return is required, the Rework group appears as soon as you create the T1-ADJ or other adjustment form.
- Once you set the filing method on the T1-ADJ to ReFILE, the ReFILE transmission tasks also appear.
- The All filing complete task in the Return Completion group also becomes unchecked, indicating that there is an outstanding filing task.
- If you prefer not to see this dialog box when you save a file, clear the check box at the bottom of the window. To view this window at any time, go to the File menu and click on Info. See the File information and history help topic.
The Workflow Summary shows the current status of tasks for clients. It provides the information that appears in the Workflow sidebar in a printable format.
Search on Status in the Client Manager
The Return status filters in the Client Manager allow you to search on workflow groups. Use these filters to display a list of returns where a group of tasks is in a particular phase of preparation.
For example, to find all returns that completed the review this week:
- Click on the Quick Searches sidebar.
- Scroll down to the Custom filters section
- Expand the Return status box.
- Select Review from the first drop-down menu.
- Select Complete from the second menu.
- In the completed field, choose This week.
To add another condition—for example, to exclude any returns where the Client Approval step has been started:
- Select And from the first menu.
- Select Client Approval from the Add another condition menu.
- Select Not started from the third menu.
Finally, if you want to see only those returns that are waiting for input from a client:
- Check the Waiting for client box. (This box looks for the Waiting for client flag on a client's workflow.)
Copy or Export Workflow Ids
You can use workflow items in conditions in templates. To copy the ids from the workflow screen:
- With a file open, go to the File menu and click on Info.
- Right-click on a workflow item and select Copy ID for Template.
- In options, you can also right-click on an item to get the ID.
- Or, you can export all items by clicking on the Export task list link.