Indexing and re-indexing
The Client Manager service maintains the database index of TaxCycle files by watching the monitored folders (even when TaxCycle isn't running) and by responding when you save a TaxCycle file.
If you update the list of monitored folders (see how above), you will want re-index the Client Manager. (This can also be a useful troubleshooting step if you think the Client Manager isn't listing all the files it should.)
- To open Options from the Start screen, click Options in the blue bar on the left side. If you have a file open, go to File menu, then click Options.
- Expand TaxCycle and then click on Client Manager on the left side of the dialog box.
- On the right side of the window, click on the Build an index link. This opens a new window for to the Monitored Folders page in the Server Options.
- On the right, scroll down until you see the Index Files section.
- Check Index VisualTax® files only if you previously used VisualTax®. (The Client Manager does not index VisualTax® files by default because the file name extensions are standardized in a way to make it easy to detect what files are from VisualTax®.)
- Click the Index Now button to clear the database and re-index. Depending on the number of files, it may take a while for the Client Manager to completely re-index the monitored folders. The server may also be a little slow to respond while indexing files. Much of this depends on the speed of the computer it is running on.
- Click Stop if you want to halt indexing before it is complete.
- Even if indexing is not complete, you can click OK to return to TaxCycle Options. Indexing will continue in the background while you work.