Data monitors appear in a grey bar at the bottom of the TaxCycle window. They allow you to monitor information in the open tax return without jumping to a specific form.
The colours and font help you know at a glance what's going on:
- Negative amounts appear in red and with parentheses around the number.
- Positive amounts are in green.
- Any whose value has just changed shows in bold text. So, it's easy to spot updated information.
Default data monitors
- Each TaxCycle module starts with default data monitors for you to use.
- You can add your own (see below), remove the default monitors, and/or edit the expressions within them to change their behaviour. (See the Data monitor expressions help topic for advanced editing of expressions.)
- If you've added or modified data monitors and you want to revert to the default data monitors, right-click on the data monitor bar and click Default data monitors.
Select from preset data monitors
Use these presets to learn how to create your own data monitors with conditional colours and descriptions. (See the Data monitor expressions help topic for advanced editing of expressions.) You can enter other colours into the field, without a condition, to always show that monitor in a particular colour.
- Right-click on a data monitor cell and select Presets.
- Under this menu, you can choose from a list of preset expressions. (See the Data monitor expressions help topic for what each preset does.)
Add data monitors
To add a field to a data monitor cell
- Place your cursor in the field you want to monitor
- Click the plus sign on the bottom right, or right-click on a blank field and select Monitor current field.
- Or, drag and drop the field onto an empty cell.
- When you click the plus sign or right-click option, TaxCycle the new monitor to the first empty space on the left. And, when there are no more empty cells, it adds a new row.
Drag and drop a data monitor
To move a data monitor to a different spot, drag it and drop it onto a blank cell.
Edit a data monitor
- Right click on a data monitor cell and select Edit data monitor.
- In the dialog box that opens, you can do the following:
- Type in the Description field to change the words that appear next to the monitored data.
- Edit the expression field to create a calculation or to test an assumption. To learn more, read the Data monitor expressions help topic.
- In the Colour field, type the name of a colour to change the colour of the text that appears in the data monitor. If you don't enter a colour, the data monitor will use Green for positive numbers and Red for negative. You aren't limited to just a few colours, either. See the Data monitor expressions help topic for a list of possible colours.
- Click OK to save your changes and update the data monitor.
Show field code in the data monitor
The field code for the currently-active field always shows in the blue bar at bottom left of the TaxCycle windows. (Click on this also copies it to your clipboard.)
If you prefer, you can add a data monitor to show the current field code. Right, click on a cell in the data monitor and select Show field code. Unlike the link in the blue bar at the bottom of the window, clicking on the data monitor cell when showing the current field code does nothing. It does not copy it to your clipboard and it does not take you to the related field.
Share the data monitors
Once you have created a set of data monitors you like, you can share them with others in your office, or copy and paste them to a new machine. Learn how in the Share data monitors help topic for a list of possible colours.
Carry forward data monitors from prior year
To carry forward data monitors to the current year:
- Open a current-year tax return.
- Right-click on a data monitor and select Carry forward data monitors to bring the data monitors forward from the prior year.
Delete a data monitor
To delete a data monitor, right-click on a cell and select Delete data monitor.