Insert data in the Excel® template
To get your Excel® file ready to import, this is what you need to know:
- Get all your data into the Export worksheet. DO NOT rename this worksheet. TaxCycle looks for it to know what data to import. You can add other worksheets to the Excel® file and they will be ignored. For example, you could use other worksheets to get your data in the format you need for the Export worksheet.
- The top five rows of the worksheet are reserved for data about the import and about each field:
- Cell 1A indicates the type of slip that will be created. (Hint: This is the first part of the field code for all fields on the form in TaxCycle. The field codes in row 4 have this prefix removed.)
- Row 2 lists the line or box number of the field where the data in that column will be inserted, if applicable.
- Row 3 contains a description of the field.
- Row 4 shows the field code into which the data in that column will be inserted. (These field codes have the form prefix removed, as it appears in Cell 1A.)
- Row 5 indicates whether this column is a Key Field. Any columns with the Key Field row set to TRUE are used to match the data with existing slips in the file. This way, you can repeat the import and make corrections. In T4 files, the social insurance number is set as a Key Field by default in the template.
- When it comes to populating your slip data in this spreadsheet, each row represents a slip recipient:
- Any cell you leave blank in a row will be ignored.
- It is important to use the correct format for a cell. For example, the import will not work properly if you put text into a field that is meant to contain a number.
- For check boxes, enter the value for the field when the box checked. Leave it blank to leave the box unchecked. For example, to indicate that an employee is exempt from CPP/QPP, enter Yes in the
- For drop-down lists, enter the value of the entry in the drop-down list. For example, to mark a slip as amended, enter Amended in the
- If you are importing this into TaxCycle while it is running in French, you must use the French value of the drop-down. In this example,